Monday, October 24, 2005

Goings on at the Bank

Saturday, having, after 2 months of marriage, changed my name legally, The Husband and I went to the bank to inform them of my name change and to finally deposit those checks that people wrote to "mr. and mrs. married couple", which the bank wouldn't accept until I'd gotten that fabulous MO Driver's License.

The bank next door to our apartment was very crowded, so we headed out to the branch of the bank where I used to work - out in suburbia, but the 10 minute drive was going to be much less than if we waited in the personal banker line at our branch - which, although we live in a nice area, also serves kind of a ghetto population. I knew that the branch I used to work at is empty on Saturdays and that I knew the people working there, and they wouldn't give us any sort of hassle...

So, stop at Starbucks, the world's largest crack dealer, and stocked up, then headed out to Ladue. I walk in and my old assistant manager is working the lobby. "Hi S.," I say as I walk in. "Well, hello stranger," she replies, and I instantly want to do some sort of violent physical harm to her. I tell her that I need to change my name with the bank, as I've changed my name in Real Life. She pretends to be coy and asks me why I have to change my name, and I tell her that I got married (which, considering that I got engaged while working for her and I have a suspicious looking man following me around is the DUMBEST question I've ever heard of...) and she comes around to give me a hug. Which I grudgingly do.

So I go to a personal banker do everything I need to do, and then head to the teller line to deposit some checks. I've already had the hug from the assistant manager, the chat with the personal banker who I used to work with, and visits from 3 tellers who came over to chat with me. The teller line looks long, and The Husband excuses himself to go make some phone calls outside. I pay no attention to him, deposit the check and meet back up with him to head home.

But, the fun doesn't end there - it seems that as The Husband was exiting the bank, one of the regular customer that I used to wait on was coming in, Jim Edmonds, the center fielder of the Cardinals... and The Husband was impressed, but didn't really want to say anything ("What was I going to say? Nice walk?" which I thought was an insult until he told me that actually is WAS a nice walk which possibly allowed the Cards to win the last game in Houston. But how was I supposed to know that?).... but The Husband and The Center Fielder made eye contact, and it made the whole "going to the bank" experience better for all...


Some people would say, "Don't blog after 2 glasses of wine!" I am not one of those people.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is why I love Marcia: she calls Starbucks "the world's largest crack dealer" and Wet Seal "Wet Skank."

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, Wet Skank is like one of my most favorite and most stickiest VHS tapes.

Stay classy, San Diego.

Anonymous said...

I ran into Albert Pujols outside of P.F. Chang's one time and was tempted to say something about how great a baseball player he is, but I was afraid to open my mouth for fear that the only thing that would come out would be something like, "Holy shit, you are HUGE."

Anonymous said...

My nephews were along the first base line and Pujols tossed each of them a ball and my older nephew was rendered speechless for the 1st time since he stated talking 12 years ago.
I'm glad the male MB had a nice trip to the bank though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, PS Pete,
Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

But mainly stay classy.

P.S. "Holy shit, you are HUGE" is another of those tapes.

Anonymous said...

And thanks for stopping by...

Anonymous said...

As a side note: there are literally thousands of men that I should be with instead, but I am 72 per cent sure that I love you!

Anonymous said...

not really

Anonymous said...

i'm going to stop posting now.

Marcia said...

oh my god, e-liz, you crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Marcia!!! You had to say hi to "S"? You crack me up! Was "P" your pb? YOu have to call me and tell me how that went. PS Ladue now sucks more than ever and im suprised you did actually get a pb on saturday. Also, i like using people's first initial to describe them, its a fun game.