Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The "What Shall We Have For Dinner?" Game, and Why I Will Always Win.

Alright, so we all know that I'm Martha Stewart (minus the jail time and bitchiness, plus youth, beauty, and black hair).

But even Martha Stewart occasionally needs ideas for what to cook for dinner. So, she looks around the internet, through her vast collection of cook books, watches the food network on tv... but then, still without inspiration, Martha occasionally has to ask her husband for ideas.

"Honey, what do you want for dinner?" I ask. "Oh, I don't know, sweetie. Everything you make is good." And we wonder why the real Martha Stewart is divorced. "Well, honey, I'm out of ideas. You have to give me either a kind of meat or a type of cuisine." My husband is barely looking up from his video game. His NCAA Football dynasty is in it's 4th season. "Hmmm... What about Brazilian?" This is not a real suggestion. I know that. He knows that. But I also know that I can win at this game.

I found this recipe for a Brazilian Shrimp Stew. It was easy and made the house smell fantastic. My husband asked for seconds. I am literally a goddess in the kitchen.

18 comments:

Kiki said...

That looks really good. I don't eat seafood, but I'm sure even I'd have to try that!

librarian pirate said...

mmm - looks fantastic! I love Epicurious. I so added that to my recipe book and will be making it soon!

goirishkj said...

Very impressive, way to beat the husband at his attempt at being funny. And what is up with guys being indecisive? Mine does that "I don't care" crap too.

goirishkj said...

Of course, my problem might be that everything I make is overpowered by chili powder in garlic, so it all tastes the same, so the mister probably doesn't care what I make.

v said...

Dang. Looks pretty good. Send some my way.

I cook too you know. I'm famous for my shreddios. 1 part shredded mini-wheats, 1 part cheerios. Add milk (it is optional).

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, especially considering I had "Healthy Choice Grilled Basil Chicken." When are you going to be close enough that your loving brother can come over for dinner?

Jay said...

In general, guys are an equal mix of indecisive and un-picky.

Jo said...

I love your blog!You have found your way into my daily bolg check! Thanks! I hope mine (paradeoftheisleys.blogspot.com/) can be as amusing as yours!

brian said...

oh marcia, what might have been! i would have eaten thirds.

0000 said...

Feed me please! That looks awesome. Also, bonus for the jazzy plate.

I live off of salads and ramen noodles with an egg dropped in at the end for some sad source of protien.

Lizzle said...

Damn girl... when you finally make it up to chicago for drinks, we're only spending money at the bars and the grocery, because you will be doing all the cooking!

Anonymous said...

I try not to make things that fancy for the husband, I don't want him to expect that all of the time.

yll said...

I'm hungry now.

Anonymous said...

I made the kitchen goddess's recipe for stuff Sicilian meatloaf that she made for The Husband this past weekend, and I loved it! I have leftovers here at work. Yummy. Maybe I'll go to the fridge now . . . .

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious. Don't you just love epicurious.com???

Kat in da Hat said...

LOVE epicurious.com! I just made sauteed cod provincial from that site last night! We should have been cooking together!

Let's have a restaurant!!! Just kidding...I can only cook the cod and scrambled eggs.

Kelly said...

Look at you gettin' all adventurous in your cooking!
Awesome!

sage said...

that looks good!