Friday, October 21, 2005

The "Show Me" State

Don't get me wrong - I've really enjoyed most of the people that I've met here in St. Louis, but... some of the things about this state are ridiculous. Today I'm going to go get my first and only Missouri Driver's License. After living here for 2 years and 4 months, it's about time, right? But my name change has finally come through, and to make it truly official, and to force the husband to stop calling me by my maiden name (ha, like that's going to work), I'm going to the DMV today.

Changing your name in Colorado when you get married is quite easy: you sign your marriage license with your married name, and your name is changed. Other states make it harder on you. But, getting your marriage license mailed back to you may take some time - like a month and a half. That's why it's been 3 months and 1 day, and I'm finally getting the MO DL.

Missouri has this funny "Show Me Proof" initiative with their DL program - you have to prove a lot of things to them (and they think it's funny to say "Show Me"... I think it makes me want to punch people in the mouth). You have to prove identity, residency, and the fact that you're legally in the US (that's the new and controversial one....)

So, what I'm taking with me:
1) Old CO DL (proof of ID)
2) US Passport (Proof of legal US residency)
3) most recent mailed pay stub (Proof of my MO residency)
4) New Social Security Card reflecting name change
5) Original Marriage License showing why the social security card really is mine.

If anyone wants to mug me on the way to the DMV, they would really have my entire life in their hands....

Wish me luck!

And I'm working on a Harriet Miers post, but I just didn't have the energy last night... tonight, I promise.

6 comments:

Dannielle a.k.a. The Dance Mom! said...

Cute blog. Love the name and that dog picture is the greatest. You kept me reading to the end!

Anonymous said...

If you need inspiration for your Harriet Miers post, go to Comedy Central's website and watch the "Daily Show" clips on her. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

You make me wish I had television, Kat. 8/
MB, isn't it hard to give up that CO DL? Aside from Wyoming's DL, CO's is my favorite. Washington and California are just so boring in comparison...

Marcia said...

I love the daily show!

Just got back from the DMV - again, surprisingly uneventful. I just walked in, waited about 90 seconds, and then dealt with a very helpful girl from North Carolina... I was out of there within 10 minutes, and even got to grab lunch at Provisions, since I was in the area.

And I am very sad about giving up my CO DL. But my picture on the MO one is better. But I wish that there were mountains in the background and that the hologram didn't say "SHOW ME" all over it...

Anonymous said...

I love the "Show Me" hologram. It is so hokey that it overcomes its own hokiness--almost. And I will state for the recored the new DL pic is cute.

librarian pirate said...

you know - I still haven't gotten my social security card changed ... that's probably going to be a problem