Monday, November 21, 2005

The Paris Review Book of People with Problems


On my cross country flight on Friday, I finished The Paris Review Book of People with Problems. In some ways, I liked it more than I thought I would, and in some ways I liked it less. Man, some of the people in this book really have problems!

It's an anthology, and the main characters of each story each has a problem. Or several. Or they're frickin' nuts!

My favorite story was called Birthmark, and it was only 5 pages long. It was extremely well written - much more complete of a story than some of the longer ones. It's about a woman who has a large port wine stain birthmark on her face lasered off, and how her life changes, and doesn't, because of the removal.

I don't think any of the stories didn't deserve to be there. All of them were well written, many were surprising, and I think I learned something - about writing, or people, or myself. I suggest reading this - besides, short fiction anthologies are always fun and distracting.

You all can borrow it. :)

1 comment:

SarahReznor said...

it sounds pretty good. adding o my wish list :)

also found - The Paris Review Book: of Heartbreak, Madness, Sex, Love, Betrayal, Outsiders, Intoxication, War, Whimsy, Horrors, God, Death, Dinner, Baseball, Travels, the Art of Writing, and Everything Else in the World Since 1953 (Hardcover)

got a lot of famous names on there!