Sunday, November 20, 2005

We Like to Party!

Alright, first things first, those Persians know how to party!

This past weekend I went my Husband's cousin's wedding in San Diego. Quick rundown: Friday, the Husband and I caught a late flight to S.D., and made it to the tail end of the rehearsal dinner. Saturday morning I went to the beach with my inlaws, headed to brunch with cousins and had oyster shooters for breakfast, ran back to the resort with only an hour until the wedding, stopping only to buy a $5 skirt and $10 red pirate pants, headed to the Persian ceremony at 1, went to the beach again at 2:30, headed to the Founder's Chapel at the University of San Diego for the Catholic Ceremony at 5, made it to the reception by 7:30, ate, drank, and made merry (and most importantly danced my heart out) until midnight, then collapsed into bed, made it to the airport for our noonish flight, came home, moaned about hangover, blogged. That's my entire weekend.

Now, for the important details:
1) In the Persian ceremony several intersting things happened:
A) The man is supposed to answer affirmatively the first time he's asked if he wants to get married, but the woman is supposed to wait until the third time she's asked. I like that. Keeps the men on their toes. But I really like that the Imam told us this, as the ceremony was in Arabic and Farsi and we had no idea what was going on.
B) Women related to the bride hold a shawl over the heads of the bride and groom during the ceremony and sew fringe onto it - they are ceremoniously sewing the mother-in-law's mouth shut!
C) the Imam pronounced the groom's last name, which ends in "-sky" as ending with "-squito" and I found it hysterical.
D) The Persian tradition is to give the bride jewelry. It was amazing. People were giving the beautiful bride a LOT of very nice jewelry, and I think that this is a tradition that should be started in other cultures. And I want to get married again so I can get beautiful jewelry.

2) On the way to the Catholic ceremony, my mother-in-law, making a left turn, turned into the left hand turn lane on the other side of the median from where she should be. And then had to drive over the median. And we're never going to let her forget this.

3) My husband still doesn't understand that when I ask him, "Are you going to eat those mashed potatoes?" I really mean, "I want your mashed potatoes, and if you don't give them to me, I'm going to act like it's fine and then throw a fit later."

4) I wore the Kate Spade hot pink shoes to the wedding. And danced for 5 hours in those four inch heels. Because I'm awesome.

5) My favorite thing of the whole weekend was when Matt woke me up at 6:30 to see the pink sunrise over the bay and palm trees right outside our hotel room. Because he knows I like pink and sweet things. Well... either that or shots with the groom and all sorts of cousins.

6 comments:

kenju said...

That sounds like a really fun wedding. I can't believe you wore 4' heels all night. My feet would curl up and die.

Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

So your adoring brother spends the last 3 quarters of the Notre Dame game text messaging you scores and updates and he gets no blog love?

We are SO in a fight!

Anonymous said...

Your brother is pretty awesome, marcia. My brother just texts me that he's drunk.

Lizzle said...

Ok, there are very few things that qualify a person to be able to say "Because I'm awesome." But dancing all night in 4 inch pink kate spade heels is one of those things that definitely qualifies the statement.

Somewhat less awesome is not giving your brother some blog love for scoring updates... that's harsh man!

markus said...

are those the same pink shoes in your profile pic?

Marcia said...

Kenju - I'm amazing.

Lynda - I'm jealous of the jewelry!

Michael - I'm sorry. Check the most recent post.

Liz - I wear heals like it's going out of style.

Markus - Hell yeah they are!