1. This giraffe was just born at the St. Louis Zoo. It was about 9 days old when I took this picture.
2. Random birth and pregnancy facts: A giraffe is pregnant for 15 months. The babies start walking within an hour. They begin their life with approximately a six foot drop to the ground.
3. This baby giraffe, D.J. (Dexter Junior. Apparently all the non-lame names had already been taken.), was born weighing 138 lbs and standing over 5'6" tall. These are milestones that I have yet to hit, despite being 25 years older than D.J., the child prodigy.
4. Giraffes only have two speeds: walk and gallop. I like that. You know what to expect. Horses have all sorts of pansy little speeds like "trot," "cantor," and "pussyfoot around."
5. I took 60 pictures of DJ while at the zoo yesterday. Seriously, have you organized Photographers Anonymous yet? I need help.
6. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. Loves baby giraffes. Even lions. (Lions just love them as lunch, that's all.)