Monday, July 23, 2007

I Need Sleep. But That's Going to Have to Wait.

On Monday, Matt and I saw 8 places on the Upper West Side, ranging from "cramped" to "interesting" to "awesome."

The eighth place, however, was "perfect."

Honestly, when I was a little girl, thinking about a cool, grown-up apartment, this is exactly what I thought about - I didn't know all the terminology, but I wanted a prewar, doorman building with shitloads of character. And I got it - with a huge kitchen, too. Gorgeous hardwood floors, with a herringbone pattern in the living room, and more traditional straight patterns elsewhere. A huge foyer and several spacious closets. It's a place where I can really see myself staying for a while.

Which is why we signed a two year lease. And gave the brokers and the building more money than I ever thought possible to give to people in one meeting when you weren't buying a house.

And then we celebrated! And gushed to each other about how we were less than a block from Riverside Park, how the subway was so close, how we got everything that was on our list of "what we want our apartment to be like" except for some outdoor space, but who needs outdoor space when we're so close to the park? And, who would have thought, in space cramped Manhattan that we'd end up with so much space??

More about the apartment and my (first ever!) trip to Cedar Point yesterday, but I have to hop in the car and drive up to Michigan again. I'll be back tomorrow!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia! You may or not remember me (Bonnie from Elsevier--a couple of dinner parties), but I just had to say "Congratulations!" You are living my dream, and I am SO jealous.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a great place; I hope to see it someday!

Kiki said...

I'm so excited for you! This sounds so awesome and you sound so happy! I can't wait to see pictures and hear about your adventures in the Big Apple.

SarahReznor said...

Wow that sounds awesome! That's SUCH a great area!!! I had family there. Mazal Tov! and - pictures please!!!

Logan said...

Yaaaaay! I'm stoked for you guys. We get pictures, yes? ;)

Princess in Galoshes said...

Wow. That's huge! Congrats on the new digs. :-)

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! I'm so happy that everything went well and you found a place that you love. I can't wait for the pictures!

Christie said...

Congrats! I know finding the perfect place is hard to do, especially when you are a limited time frame. Yeah for you!

Jay said...

Aw hell. Next time you go to Cedar Point, I expect there to be an invite fired off my way.

Anonymous said...

It was so fun to see you! I can't ait for your cute butt to live in Manhattan so we can hang out.

Tabitha Dial said...

Congratulations. Sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey, just popped in to see how things were going, and looks like they're going GREAT! Congrats on finding an awesome apartment!

Bobealia... said...

Okay, in a private email I totally need to know what you are paying and if I can ever dream of living there too... Like in five years when my husband is finished his residencies. You can say more than... or less than... Do you want a third roommate? Mr. Bo can rent a studio in Newark.

Andie said...

congrats! that's really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Welcome to Manhattan. (Now you just need to convince your sister to move back too :) )