Wednesday, November 09, 2005

You Disappoint Me

I can't believe that none of you said that your favorite 6 letter word was MARCIA. Very sad. Apparently you don't love me as much as I'd hoped. Oh well. I think I'll get over it. But we might be in a very small death feud. (Don't worry, I'm sure I'll get over it in another 20 minutes or so. Just wave something sparkly or pink at me, and I'll forget all about it.) (UPDATE 11:09PM: ok, wait, I post this, and then check everything, and it seems that JANE did come up with Marcia as her favorite 6 letter word, because she's awesome. But she apparently doesn't know the rule: don't comment while I'm writing a new post!)

But on to bigger and better things. I was at Target yesterday (buying a donut-shaped ass pillow, if you must know, and my complaining has diminished 10fold because of it!), and I was assaulted by CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS. And I almost did not escape unscathed. This is one of my first Christmases on my own, and I don't own any decorations of my own. Previous Christmases I have been at my parents' house and unwilling to decorate my own kinda shitty apartment. This Christmas I have a gorgeous apartment and it feels kinda like a home because I share it with someone (aka, the husband). And so, I saw ornaments and evergreen things and ... I almost could not control myself! I had visions of my husband returning home to a completely decked out apartment and ... then a) I realized I was in Target, and all the evergreen garlands were fake, and all the ornaments cheap, and b) I'm not really the energetic "transform the whole apartment" kind of girl. I'm more of the "watch Iron Chef and then go to bed" kind of girl.

Plus, as I'm spending Christmas in Paris on my honeymoon, the idea of decorating, and then not being there for the climatic event... seems depressing. I did not want to return, jet lagged, to a pathetically decorated apartment after spending a romantic week in the city of lights!

What do all you young professionals do about decorating apartments, now that we're adults?

10 comments:

Lizzle said...

Well, since it's just me and murphy (the fish) living at my place, I don't go crazy. I'm all for a few lights around the window, and I've got a little plastic tree with lights and ornaments... but that's really about it... OH YEAH! And I wrap my door with wrapping paper and a bow, because I am lame like that.

SarahReznor said...

You asked – suffer the consequences. I live in Israel, the land of the Jews and the terrorists. Now since I’m married to a Christian I do celebrate Christmas (a very happy addition to my life – presies!) but no one else here does! we have to go to the Christian quarter in the old city of Jerusalem to but ornaments and anything Xmas related, which is kinds scary coz it’s right next to the Moslem quarter where you must be insane or suicidal to venture into if you’re Jewish, and we rely on the new Russian immigrants for all things un-kosher (ham-yummy). The only cool thing is Beth Lehem road, they put up lights in the shape of stars and stuff, every year we drive down there to look around but again, don’t go into Beth Lehem unless you got a problem with life… we have fun anyway, all our non related to Christians friends come over to see the decoration and be jealous.

Anonymous said...

I like to decorate for holidays, so I do wherever I am, even when I was in college in an apartment that has since been condemned. I agree that it could be depressing to come home after your Parisian honeymoon and have to take down a bunch of stuff, but maybe just a little decoration would be fun. Like . . . a miniature tree? I have a bunch. I could loan you one if you want. Target has great Christmas decorations!!!

Anonymous said...

I love decorating too and I love Target stuff. I've bought some awesome stuff there on clearance. I've been slowly building my collection of decorations, so someday, when I actually have a house, I'll have lots of fun stuff to put up. For now though, I have a few things that I put up here and there. My favorite thing is a great wreath I got at Pier 1.

librarian pirate said...

I am currently working at Pier 1. The other day, I spent three hours decorating Christmas trees, and getting paid for it. I am constantly bombarded by things like our gorgeous sparkly cranberry window swag ... etc. And there really is no point in buying ornaments when we have no tree yet. I'm trying very hard to wait until after Thanksgiving to really decorate our apartment. We will be here for Christmas (probably going home for New Years), so decorating will happen ... just don't ask me what that decorating will be. Also, next year will be great. The day after Christmas, I'll stock up for next year during the sales ... and next year it will be a Christmas extravaganza!

Kat in da Hat said...

Yes, Christmas has arrived in NYC. Today they put the tree in Roc. Center (not lit, but there) and Saks has had their snowflake decorations (again, not lit but there) on their facade since October 28th!

Paris at Christmas will be lovely! I was there in May and although the people were rude (BOTS could have it's own Paris-only edition), it was cool.

Angela said...

When we lived in Nashville, we didn't decorate the apartment at all. Instead, we hired different church choirs to come over each night and sing holiday favorites. Last year we assembled a live nativity scene in our back yard--complete with donkeys, camels, and three wise men!

Tabitha Dial said...

Woah.... you did WHAT, Angela!??

..... at... uhhh... a uh... special... recreation center!??

I love Cmas. This year is going to be the very very best.

I don't work in retail anymore!

I recommend you decorate however you like.

If you don't want to come home to those decorations, afraid they'll suffer in comparison to Paris, then you can plan to take them down before you leave the country.

Happy Holidays to all!

Holly said...

I've been married for 4 years and I just started decorating for xmas last year. I suck at it! It looked like a five year old decorated the tree. We actually have a house this year and I have no desire to decorate it. Maybe when we have kids.....

Anonymous said...

Marcia (all six letters of you),
don't admonish the one person that got your riddle. ESPECIALLY since I was not a "liberal arts" major, but instead spent much of my time doing debits, credits and finding the free cash flow of imaginary companies. So I'm not even supposed to get words. =)

Your guess as to whether this young professional is going to be decorating her Mlps palace this Crhistmas. =)