Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year's Resolution 2009

Well, not so much a resolution as a challenge. Matt bet me that I couldn't read 100 books.

When he bet me this, I was already at 2 and it was only the 3rd of January. I read relatively quickly, and it would be fun to see if I can take it this far. I'm only sad that I finished The Broom of the System on the 30th of December, as that would have been a fitting first novel. Oh well.

Rules: I'm going to update this as I finish books (new books will be at the top). I'll provide dates and very small details of the books or how I found them. They have to be, you know, not vapid shitty books. I welcome suggestions for new books and comments about what I have read!

3. The Sound of Butterflies by Rachael King. Jan 5. Susan gave it to my sister Elizabeth for Christmas and I grabbed it. It ended quickly - the beginning was so detailed and it was like the author ran out of steam.
2. Away by Amy Bloom. Jan 3. Susan gave it to me for Christmas. HIGHLY recommend. I laughed, I cried, I enjoyed the NYC history part of it.
1. Mr Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom. Jan 1. My mom brought it with her to my house for Christmas, it's a mystery about a man who runs a mobile library. Eh.

8 comments:

Jay Ferris said...

Are you on GoodReads.com?

Manifestation said...

Thank you for sharing.I need to be careful as you read so many books and challenging to read more.That's so nice of you indeed.Knowledge leads to wisdom.Thank you.

LOL:)
Gifts to Bangalore|Gifts to India|Gifts to chennai

Celia said...

What a great resolution! I read Mr. Dixon Disappears also and felt the same way. Just Eh. Can't wait to see what you read next.

rebekah said...

I'm on GoodReads as well. It's awesome. I just saw this on NPR and am going to pick a few books from the list: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96539642. Does "Chasing Harry Winston" count as vapid? That was the first book I read this year and I'm pretty ashamed to admit it. At least I followed it up with a book on poverty.

Anonymous said...

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Not to sound like an 80 yr old librarian but this book was such a delight.

I also just read a random book by an Australian, Breath by Tim Winton, it is different and engaging and besides some of the Aussie and surf talk, I loved it.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add that they are both quick reads and will up your count quickly.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add that they are both quick reads and will up your count quickly.

Unknown said...

Really you have got latest information on the new fashion trends. Just few days back my mom purchased sari from www.kaneesha.com of exactly TV soaps actress style. She is highly satisfied and why not after receiving great compliments!