Sunday, August 27, 2006
Facts About KNITTING:
1. Once upon a time, I used to do posts I called "Facts About..."
2. Then I got busy. I know, I'm sorry. All sorts of summer travel, natural disasters, and life-changing events got in the way.
3. Through it all, Logan bugged me to do a very special "Facts About..." post.
4. I've finally gotten around to it.
5. Even though I pride myself in being "very crafty," I'm kind of le shitty when it comes to knitting. Not le shit, but le shitty.
6. My grandmother would cringe, as she supported herself and her three children (including sending all of them to college) after her husband died by opening a knit-shop, and teaching everyone in my hometown between the ages of 40 and 60 how to knit.
7. My grandmother rocks at knitting. She a) used to make patterns for McColl (or some other large pattern-making company. I'm not completely sure.), b) knit golf shirts for my grandfather and father. And these things are feather-weight. Honestly, 15 stitches per square inch. I don't know how a real person did that. I thought only machines did that.
8. Once upon a time, back in our early courtship, I knit Matt a scarf for his mid-winter birthday.
It did not turn out well.
I know he loves me, but he still only wore that thing once or twice.
But he still has it.
9. I then crocheted a blanket for my brother. This turned out much better.
Apparently, the two needles confused me. I work better with one.
10. My other grandmother? Also a fabulous knitter. I honestly don't know how the gene skipped me.
But I take pride in the fact that I'm better at counted cross-stitch than she was.
Oh God, I'm such a dork.
11. Honestly, if you want to learn about knitting, you're much better off asking him, her, her, or my grandmother. Because I'm no good. But keep reading me anyway! I made salsa today, and if it turns out well, I'll tell you all about it...